Carlyle Jerico L. Monsanto,
Albert Christian G. Veliganio,
Stephanie Marie A. Ypil,
Imanol A. Zaldumbide,
Greatel S. Capuras
The main purpose of the study was to determine if functional movement was a predictor of risk of injury among athletes of Cebu Doctors' University Academic Year 2018-2019. The study utilized a descriptive predictive research design. For this purpose, athletes from Intramurals 2018 were selected. The respondents were assessed using Functional Movement Screening created by Cook, Burton, Hoogenboom and Voight-Part 1(2014), by three (3) novice FMS instructors under the supervision of an FMS Level II specialist. There were 435 total possible respondents in Cebu Doctors' University. All possible respondents were given pre-selection forms (see appendix D-1) to determine the respondents' years participated as athletes, age and if an injury occurred in the years the respondents were active. Utilizing the FMS as a tool to measure Functional Movement, out of the 435 respondents, 141 answered the researcher's presurvey form. Of the 141 respondents, 80 qualified to participate in the study. During data gathering, a total of 64 respondents (n=64), who are athletes of Cebu Doctors' University who participated in the 2018 Intramurals as athletes of physically inclined sports were assessed with the FMS for the researcher's study. According to the pre-selection forms, 30 sustained an injury while 34 sustained no injury 3 years prior to assessment.
The respondents as to history of injury were described as follows; with low risk of injury (FMS<14) were at 7 (10.9%) and high risk of injury (FMS>14) at 57 (89.1%). Results showed that a significant portion of the athletes assessed were of high risk of injury with regards to their functional movement. Athletes without history of injury were at 30 (46.9%) and with history of injury were at 34 (53.1%) showing that most of the respondents had a high risk of injury, although by a small margin. Results indicated that functional movement was not associated with the risk of injury (Φ = 0.072) among CDU athletes.
The researchers concluded that the level of functional movement is not associated with the risk of injury in athletes of Cebu Doctors University. A study can be conducted on all sports with a comparison on which has a higher FMS score overall. Future studies can also look into the common causes of injury amongst Cebu Doctors' University athletes.
1. Bonazza, N. A. , Smuin, D. , Onks, C. A. , Silvis, M. L. , Dhawan, A. . "Reliability, validity, and injury predictive value of the functional movementscreen: A systematic review and meta-analysis" The American Journal of Sports Medicine
XX(X): 1-8, 2016. Retrieved from: http://doi.10.1177/0363546516641937
2. Booth, F. W. , Roberts, C. K. , Laye, M. J. . "Lack of exercise is a majorcause of chronic diseases" Comprehensive Physiology
2(2): 1143-1211, 2012. Retrieved from: http://doi: 10.1002/cphy.c110025
3. Chinn, L. , Hertel, J. . "Rehabilitation of ankle and foot injuries in athletes." Clinics in Sports Medicine,
29(1): 157-167, 2010. Retrieved from: http://doi:10.1016/j.csm.2009.09.006.
4. Chorba, R. S. , Chorba, D. J. , Bouillon, L. E. , Overmyer, C. A. , Landis, J. A. . "Use of a functional movement screening tool to determine injuryrisk in female collegiate athletes" North American Journal of Sports Physical Therapy
5(2): 47-54, 2010. Retrieved from: http://https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2953387/.
6. Cook, G. , Burton, L. , Hoogenboom, B. J. , Voight, M. . "Functional movement screening: The use of fundamental movements as an assessment of function - part 1" The International Journal of Sports Physical Therapy,
9(3): 396-409, 2014. Retrieved from: http://https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4060319/
7. Cook, G. , Burton, L. , Hoogenboom, B. J. , Voight, M. . "Functional movement screening: The use of fundamental movements as an assessment of function‐part 2." International Journal of Sports Physical Therapy
9(4): 549, 2014. Retrieved from: http://https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4127517/
8. Cramer, J. , Quintero, M. , Rhinehart, A. , Rutherford, C. , Nasypany, A. , May, J. , Baker, R. . "Exploration of score agreement on a modified upperquarter y-balance test kit as compared to the upper quarter y-balance test" International Journal of Sports Physical Therapy
12(1): 117-124, 2017. Retrieved from: http://https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubm
9. Faigenbaum, A. D. , Myer, G. D. . "Resistance training among young athletes: Safety, efficacy and injury prevention effects." British Journal of Sports Medicine
44(1): 56-63, 2010. Retrieved from: http://doi:10.1136/bjsm.2009.068098
10. Frost, D. M. , Beach, T. A. C. , Callaghan, J. P. , Mcgill, S. M. . "Using the functional movement screen to evaluate the effectiveness of training." The Journal of Strength & Conditioning Research
26(6): 1620-1630, 2012. Retrieved from: http://https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21921825
11. Garrison, M. , Westrick, R. , Johnson, M. R. , Benenson, J. . "Association between the functional movement screen and injury development in college athletes" International Journal of Sports Physical Therapy
10(1): 21-28, 2015. Retrieved from: http://https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4325284/.
12. Giombini, A. , Cesare, A. D. , Safran, M. R. , Ciatti, R. , Maffulli, N. . "Short term effectiveness of hyperthermia for supraspinatus tendinopathy in athletes." The American Journal of Sports Medicine
34(8): 1247-1253, 2006. Retrieved from: http://doi:10.1177/0363546506287827.
14. Hotta, T. , Nishiguchi, S. , Fukutani, N. , Tashiro, Y. , Adachi, D. , Morino, S. , Aoyama, T. . "Functional movement screen for predicting running injuries in 18-to 24-year-old competitive male runners." The Journal of Strength & Conditioning Research
29(10): 2808-2815, 2015. Retrieved from: http://https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25853918
15. Kennedy-Armbruster, C. , Evans, E. M. , Sexauer, L. , Peterson, J. , Wyatt, W. . "Association among functional-movement ability, fatigue, sedentary time, and fitness in 40 years and older active duty military personnel" Military Medicine,
178(12): 1358-1364, 2013. Retrieved from: http://doi:10.7205/MILMED-D-13-00186
18. Lemoyne, J. , Poulin, C. , Richer, N. , Bussières, A. . "Analyzing injuries among university-level athletes: Prevalence, patterns and risk factors." The Journal of the Canadian Chiropractic Association
61(2): 88-95, 2017. Retrieved from: http://https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5596969/
22. Okada, T. , Huxel, K. C. , Nesser, T. W. . "Relationship between corestability, functional movement, and performance." Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research
25(1): 252-261, 2011. Retrieved from: http://doi:10.1519/jsc.0b013e3181b22b3e
24. Parchmann, C. J. , Mcbride, J. M. . "Relationship between functional movement screen and athletic performance." Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research
25(12): 3378-3384., 2011. Retrieved from: http://doi:10.1519/jsc.0b013e318238e916
27. Rugg, C. , Kadoor, A. , Feeley, B. T. , Pandya, N. K. . "The effects of playing multiple high school sports on national basketball association players’ propensity for injury and athletic performance." The American Journal of Sports Medicine
XX(X): 1-7, 2017. Retrieved from: http://doi:10.1177/0363546517738736
28. Slone, H. S. , Karas, S. G. , Shani, R. H. , East, M. , Barfield, W. R. . "Functional movement screen and prior injury in National Football League Combine athletes." The Orthopaedic Journal of Sports Medicine
4(3_suppl3): 2016. Retrieved from: http://doi:10.1177/2325967116s00068
29. Sreekaarini, I. , Eapen, C. , Zulfeequer, C. P. . "Prevalence of sports injuries in adolescent athletes." Journal of Athletic Enhancement
3(5): 1-5, 2014. Retrieved from: http://doi:10.4172/2324-9080.1000168
31. Tanaka, H. , Seals, D. R. . "Endurance exercise performance in mastersathletes: Age-associated changes and underlying physiological mechanisms." The Journal of Physiology
586(1): 55-63, 2008. Retrieved from: http://doi:10.1113/jphysiol.2007.141879
32. Teyhen, D. S. , Shaffer, S. W. , Lorenson, C. L. , Halfpap, J. P. , Donofry, D. F. , Walker, M. J. , Childs, J. D. . "The functional movement screen: Areliability study." Journal of Orthopaedic & Sports Physical Therapy
42(6): 530-540, 2012. Retrieved from: http://doi:10.2519/jospt.2012.3838
34. Weiler, R. , Mechelen, W. V. , Fuller, C. , Verhagen, E. . "Sport injuries sustained by athletes with disability: A systematic review." Sports Medicine
46, 1141-1153., 2016. Retrieved from: http://doi:10.1007/s40279-016-0478-0